At least 13 soldiers were martyred and 55 others wounded in a terrorist attack in central Turkey’s Kayseri province on Saturday, according to Turkish authorities.
The Turkish General Staff said in a statement earlier the attack martyred 13 soldiers when a car bomb targeted a public bus carrying off-duty troops near the Erciyes University campus at 8.45 a.m. local time (0545 GMT).
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told journalists in Kahramanmaras “A suicide bomb attack occurred and the injured are receiving treatment in hospitals.”
“These incidents cannot weaken our struggle rather it increases our determination”
, he added.
, he added.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu condemned the deadly attack and said,”The attack wounded 55 soldiers of which twelve are in intensive care. Eight bodies were identified so far” in Kayseri.
Meanwhile Health Minister Recep Akdag added, “Six of the injured are in critical condition and are being treated in various hospitals.”
“Turkish army is determined to combat terrorists until the last terrorist is neutralized,”Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar told Anadolu Agency.
Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu phoned the prime minister and offered his condolences over the attack.
An investigation into the attack is underway.
Deputy Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak compared the incident to the Dec.10 twin bombings in Istanbul, which killed 44 people, including several police officers.
Turkey’s Supreme Board of Radio and Television imposed a temporary ban on media coverage of Kayseri blast, which includes live broadcast from the scene, footage taken from the time of the blast and afterwards, and images of bodies, the agency said in a statement.